Sunday, January 10, 2010

Chicken Corn Chowder....mmmmmmm

I told you that I'd be posting some recipes here on occasion and here is the first. This is something I made for the first time tonight and it got thumbs up all around. Keegan kind of faltered at the bottom of the bowl but that's just how it is with him. I'd have been shocked if he ate the whole thing.


Chicken Corn Chowder

1 lb chicken breast - diced
1 16oz bag of frozen whole kernel corn
32 oz chicken broth (I used Imagine Organic)
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 medium onions - chopped
2 medium potatoes - chopped
1 cup cheddar cheese - grated
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp italian seasoning
salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
ground cumin, ground coriander (optional)


1. In a large frying pan saute diced chicken and onions in olive oil and butter with salt, pepper, garlic powder, italian seasoning, cumin and coriander until thoroughly cooked.

2. In a separate pot simmer potatoes and corn in chicken broth until chicken/onion combination is done.

3. Add sauteed chicken and onions to pot, add heavy cream and bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.

4. Serve with a sprinkle of grated cheese on top.

Serves about 4.


That's it. Most of the work comes in dicing up the ingredients. The whole thing took me about 30-45 minutes and it turned out pretty good for my first attempt at a chowder of any kind.
Feel free to let me know what you think or if you have any ideas on how to improve it. Personally I would have added sliced mushrooms if I was making this for only myself but most of my family are not fans of fungus. Oh well, bon appetit!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home